Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Baby Worth 50 Bucks


BOSTON – A family picked up by a taxi at the airport left a sleeping 5-year-old child behind in the back of the minivan — and the cabbie almost took the blame for it.

Joseph Cohen, a taxi driver for 39 years, picked up the family at Logan International Airport on Sunday, drove them to their home in the city's Mattapan neighborhood, and helped them unload their luggage.
"They paid me, thank you very much, everything was nice, and I left," he said.
Minutes later, Cohen got a call from the cab pool at the airport. State police, who have jurisdiction over Logan, were looking for him.

He was told the family left a child in his cab.

"I said, 'What?' So I looked in the back and I see the baby sleeping. I said, 'What should I do?' So you know, I take the baby (back) to the family," he said. "The father came out. He was very happy."

He even gave him a $50 tip.


The story later goes on to say how the cabbie had his licence suspended for 3 days because he failed to do a "thorough check of the van." Well that's just shitty. How is it this cabbie's fault again? Was it his child? Did he try and steal the kid? No and no. First, does Joe the Cabbie look like he needs to deal with some random kid left in his cab? I don't think so. This guy should have received 3 paid days off instead of a suspension. And if anyone is going to be suspended it should be the terrible parents.


"OK honey we have everything?"

"Carry on bag: check. Suitcase: check. Suitcase just for my shoes: check. Pink Red Sox hat: check. Patriots bumper sticker we picked up in the airport: check. Baby's suitcase: check. Yup that's it."

There are a few things I love about this too. Joe the Cabbie seriously contemplated what to do with the child when really he must have been like 4 blocks away. He got a call "minutes" after dropping of these child neglecting parents. So really how far could he have gone? My guess is he made it to the first traffic light. The last thing that pisses me off is that the parents only value their child at 50 bucks! *clap...clap...clap* All I know is if I loose my kid and he/she is delivered back to me before I get busted for being a bad parent, I am dropping a hundo on this guy, hell I would even take him to the nearest strip club and buy him a few lap dances. Its the least I could do.

No comments: